Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Cicily's Shakes (food)

People seem to be very interested in Cicily's eating and it's a bit of a new hobby for me, so I'm going to explain what she eats. I've explained her g-tube and pump situation and how she was eating breastmilk until 10 months old. But, now she's over a year and should be eating normal solid food. How does she do this you wonder when she can't swallow very well? The standard answer is to give special medical formula for kids (like Pediasure). This formula consists basically of water, vegetable oil, corn syrup, milk, and added vitamins. I just couldn't imagine mixing up a shake with these ingredients and feeding it to Maya every day and feeling like she was getting adequate nutrition, and I feel the same about Cicily! So, I've gotten into mixing a very thin shake of all real food for Cicily that we can send through the tube. It's called a "blended diet" and it's sort of a movement in the g-tube community. I've joined an online group to help get ideas and trouble shoot.

So here's how we prepare Cicily's "shakes". Start with a Vita-Mix blender- an absolute must have for a blended diet. It's a commercial grade blender that's downright amazing! I cook whole grains - barley, quinoa, wheat, millet, oatmeal, etc. Then every day I toss the grains, vegetables, fruit, meat, flaxseed, olive oil, coconut oil, and water into the blender and blend for 3-5 minutes. The result is a wonderful, thin shake that we can feed to Cicily 4 times a day via g-tube! She's the healthiest 1 year old I can imagine!! No processed toddler foods like mac and cheese or sugary ice cream for this girl! She eats great foods on a daily basis like: yogurt, almonds, spinach, flax, broccoli, whole grains, blackberries, beet greens, squash, salmon, etc. My Grandma would be so proud! Sometimes I even get to pick her food fresh from our own garden. (I'm sounding a little extreme now :)) Chris and I always joke that we should start drinking our own "Cicily shakes" and that when she gets rid of the g-tube and starts eating chicken nuggets and other normal foods, she's going to get sick.

Like I said, it's a bit of a new hobby for me to see just how healthy I can make the food I pump into my baby. If anyone has suggestions/ideas of super great foods or combinations of foods- let me know!!!

7 comments:

Teri said...

Have you ever tasted her food? I am curious how it tastes...cause I would try some if you would like! I think it sounds very healthy.

Nammie said...

Couldn't you sneak a little ice cream in once in a while? Tell her it's from Grandpa Norm!!

Chelsea said...

I should try and eat healthy like her. Probably won't happen if I'm being realistic but it sure sounds like a good idea. I think it's great that you help her eat so well. She looks so cute and is getting so big!

Erin said...

Hey J-
It's Erin. I haven't been on Cicily's blog for so long.She has grown up so much! She is beautiful. You can just see how much love and life she has in her smile. Reading about Cicily shakes I have thrown out my boxes of mac and cheese! What a wonderful mom to put all that love and effort in. How are all the Watkins? I wish Molly and Maya could play together. I think they'd be good friends! How is Chris's work? And how are you doing? I miss you and your friendship. You are such a wonderful person Janalyn I always looked up to you, and wanted to be more like you. Hope all is well- lv, Erin

Anonymous said...

Yum! I think Cicily's shakes sound delicious. I'm sure she is one of the healthiest children around. Does she like apple, carrot, and beet juice combined? That could be a colorful mess, hunh? Our vitamixer has been used a lot too. They are great. I agree, what you are concocting is so much better for her than the canned and package stuff. Does Maya like her drinks?

I have thoroughly enjoyed your updates. Cicily and Maya are beautiful little girls. We loved seeng all of you over Christmas. Cis looks adorable in her hooded towel. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janalyn! My Mom (Lois) was in town over Easter and made me learn how to juice the Carrot, Beet, and Apple juice she's referring to above! It's not bad- I bet Cicily would love it! :-) I like Grandpa Norm's idea though -- sneaking a little ice cream in once in awhile ;) - Cute!
Take care, you are such a good mom. Love, Rach

Anonymous said...

Janalyn, this blog is awesome! Thanks for including the link when you signed Faith's guestbook. Cicily is doing so great, I've loved watching all her video's, and Maya's suctioning demo! I have to get your menu plan for Cicily - how do you track her calorie intake and did you have to get your doctor (GI or ped.) to approve it before you started doing it? I've ordered the handbook but I haven't started doing any experimenting!
Best wishes,
Robin