Monday, December 21, 2009

Cicily's blended diet recipe

I've been asked many times for a sample recipe of what we feed to Cicily through her g-tube. We've been doing a blended diet (blending all normal food) for Cicily since she was a year old. Cis had a feeding therapist when she was a baby that always told me to keep her eating habits as "normal as possible". Feeding her real food just seemed like an extension of that and it was something that I just felt would be really good for her, so we do it. I've never counted calories for Cicily, because I don't count calories for my older daughter either. Some days Cicily gets more calories, some days less. What I've done is taken the FDA guidelines for a child Cicily's age and created a healthy recipe to blend and feed her. I change and increase the ingredients as she grows. When she was in the hospital in July I finally had a dietician look at her recipe and she ran the numbers and said it looked great.
Here's the recipe, this feeds Cicily for one day. As always, feel free to leave your own suggestions or questions.
1 1/2 -2 C. grains (barley, oats, rice, wheat, millet, quinoa, etc.) I do raw with 2 C. water in the Vitamix and blend for 3 or so minutes. I used to used the equivalent of already cooked grains.
2-3 servings of veggies (whatever we have around on that day)
2-3 whole fruits
2 T flaxseeds
2-3 t. olive oil, coconut oil, or any other oil
1 C milk
1 cooked egg, 1 serving of cooked meat we ate that day, or 10 almonds
1 t. salt
Sometimes I add 1/2 C plain yogurt, spices, beans, or whatever else I feel like feeding her
I first blend the grains, meat and water together for a few minutes, in the VitaMix blender, then add the milk and everything else and blend for another few minutes. With each meal I also give her 2-3 oz milk or water (to rinse out the bottle I used to measure her feeding).

2 comments:

Teri said...

I wish I could get my kids to eat that healthy...or me for that matter. See you guys on Tuesday!

Bharti Sumarajan said...

Thanks Janalyn for that little note on my blog , sometimes little notes are mountains of strength , its a nice feeling to know someone understands ur pain .Yes jenny is a very sweet girl .