Monday, July 25, 2011

Home-sewn beauty: A thank you spotlight on Aunt Kristy

A few months ago we got a total surprise in the mail. Maya was so excited to get something for her - she's always bummed because Cicily always gets so much mail (nothing exciting I try to tell her, mostly medical bills). My immensely talented cousin Kristy had been working on these booties for Cicily for a while, getting them just right. She sews booties for babies, and wanted to try her hand at a larger pair for Cis. She ended up making 4 adorable pairs for Cicily to wear. And, she also included Maya and Sophie and made a cute wallet for Maya, that she's "keeping all of her most special things in" and a headband for Sophie. If you had tons of time Kristy and I had tons of money, I'd keep you busy making even more bows, bags and booties for us! :)
Two years ago (wow, it's been a long time already) when Cis got her trach re-placed, my Kristy called me while I was sitting next to my fully sedated Cicily, my head flooding with all the things that having a trach back meant and Kristy told me she wanted to sew a bag for us. It was a little thing considering all we'd been through - a bag. But, it was also a huge, tender thing that made me know our Heavenly Father was watching over us and making this setback easier in simple ways. It was a silly thing I dreaded - having to lug around a suction machine and a bag with trach supplies - again. So, knowing Kristy was thinking of us and making us our own special bag was a big lift. And, this bag has lasted a full 2 years, looking and performing excellently, inspite of it being used and abused daily!
Kristy sews a lot of wonderful items. She has a blog: www.thevintageclothespin.blogspot.com and an etsy store: . You should really check them out!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow. Thanks for this Janalyn. I love you and those three little girls with all my heart. I'm so glad there was something I could do to make you all smile. And thank you so much for the sweet picture! I have it printed in my studio above my sewing machine where I can see it every day. Making you a bag was the least I could do. You have truly taught me what it means to be an amazing Mom.

mashby said...

She is SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY talented! I have looked at her site many times just drooling over everything! That is so sweet!!! :)