Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The incredible shrinking brain

I know the post title is weird, but laughing is better than crying.  Went to Cicily's neurologist today to discuss her latest MRI (as well as meds, etc.).  Cicily has had 4 MRIs done of her brain. Comparing the first at age 1 1/2 and the most recent at almost age 8 was very enlightening.  Basically, Cicily's brain is shrinking.  She is losing white matter (leukodystrohpy) which we knew and she is also losing gray matter (poliodystrophy) which we thought may happen but not to this extent.  Does it really change Cicily's prognosis - no.  We knew her brain was losing tissue (where does it go?  I'd like to find it and put it back where it belongs.) and that it would lead to her losing function of her body until it can't function at all.  Now we just know she's losing white and gray matter.  It doesn't mean she'll lose function any faster, just gives us more pieces on the Cicily medical puzzle.  

For the interested readers, here are Cicily's images.  I find them fascinating.  
(White areas = fluid, light gray areas = white matter, dark gray areas = gray matter) I think

Cicily's brain MRI taken on 4/2008 (1 1/2 years old) 
Around this age Cicily could crawl; cruise furniture; identify animals, colors and shapes; and sign about 50 signs. 

Cicily's brain MRI taken on 7/2014 (7 1/2 years old) 
Around this age Cicily cannot crawl, or cruise, and can only sign 10 signs.  She can read sentences, has all previous knowledge and is still learning more. (How does she do it???  Nobody gets it, but she LOVES it, so I'm happy.)

Here are some MRI brain scans I found of children with typical development. (These images are T1 and the above of Cicily are T2, so the blacks and whites are sorta swapped.)

I realize not everyone looking at these images has the extensive 5 minute training I receive when I talk to Cicily's neurologists about her MRIs, but you can still look and appreciate the changes!

A few things to notice:

The big blob in the very center is fluid (as I understand).  There is so much more fluid in Cicily's 7 year old scan because something has to fill up the space left by her disappearing brain matter.

Underneath the "legs" of the white "blob" notice the light gray areas.  These are white matter.  You can appreciate how much smaller those areas are now than when she was 1 1/2.

If you look at the brain overall you can notice more "canyon" areas (bright white areas that look more or less like grand canyons in between large mesas).  Those canyons are where gray matter has disappeared and fluid has filled in the space (again, as I understand, anyway).  There are larger canyons and smaller mesas.  That's not what you want in a brain!


After the appointment I was asking Cicily if she thought looking at her brain was cool.  She was unimpressed and annoyed.  But later when I told her she should take her pictures of her brain to school if her 2nd grade class talks about brains in science she was all over it!! Then I joked with her about her incredible shrinking brain and how it reminds me of the shrunken heads on the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland and she thought that was amusing.  

2 comments:

Islay, Braxton and Charly Goldsmith said...

Oh my friend .... how did you not burst into tears and completely lose it? You amaze me every day. You are exactly the right mama for precious little Cicily.
I want to share a book with you that I've been listening to this week. It has reminded me of the bigger picture and brought me 'home' somewhat (I've never felt at home in a telestial world). It's called 'Visions of Glory'. You can get the audio on audible.com.

Love you loads,

Luci xxx

Kimberly Williams said...

I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by USA Doctors. But the best way to fight and get rid of herpes virus permanently is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbal Doctor, who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be worried that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases ROSCEA,schizophrenia, Alzheimer disease, Eczema,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism,vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com
He's a good man and he will help you