Thursday, July 2, 2015

Why I've been practicing Bikram Yoga

"It's normal after this pose to feel emotional" said the instructor.  "Uh that's a relief because tears just popped out of my eyes," I thought.  I was skeptical that a yoga pose could elicit such an immediate emotional response, yet the proof was in the tears trickling down my face.  I hadn't even realized I was sad at the time.  But reality was I'd been sad every day for the past 2 years, since my daughter Cicily was diagnosed with a terminal brain disorder.  This was just my 2nd Bikram Yoga class and after the tears in camel pose I knew this yoga was something I should have in my life.  I had felt spiritual peace in my life but never knew my body was in need of physical peace.  For the past 2 years practicing Bikram Yoga has allowed my body to let go of pent-up emotions and feel physical peace. 

Practicing also keeps my back from hurting so I am able to physically care for my daughter.  And in turn Cicily is my inspiration in class.  When I feel like I can't hold a pose another second, I think of her persistence and it gives me strength.  

No comments: