Friday, July 25, 2008

Half Done

From the x-rays of Cicilys jaw on Wed. it looks like the distractors are turned 1/2 of the full length. This means we are 1/2 way to completion of turning the screws!! If all goes as planned we will continue turning 3 times a day and then Dr. Singh will remove the external arms (the portion of the device that hangs down from her chin) on Aug. 5.
The turning is becoming painful for Cicily. I try to turn while she is in a deep sleep for at least the night time turn, but when she's awake it takes Chris holding her arms/entertaining her in order to get them turned correctly. So turning is not the exciting occurrence that it was in the beginning; I think of it more as torture three times a day. It is worth it though. We can see a HUGE difference in the position of her mandible. Her chin looks like Jay Leno's to us! And, I can now see her uvula for the very first time. Something most people take for granted, but I've never been so excited to see a uvula- what a great thing!
From the laryngoscopy Dr. Mancuso saw improvement in her airway. He didn't have to thrust her tongue off of her trachea like before. He is optimistic that if we can achieve the full 30 mm of mandibular growth, then Cicily could be decannulated. So, we're a few major, precarious steps away from that still, but the optimism is nice.

I was attempting to get a picture of Cicily NOT smiling to post as a progress shot. She was not complying- she smiled for every single picture I took that day! She makes this all so much easier. This picture was taken Monday (5 days ago).

6 comments:

Teri said...

Oh I am excited. It will be strange to see her change every time we see her. I am glad that it is all going well. Love you Cicily!

Ondriawfd said...

What a trooper! I was hoping for an after shot since we haven't been able to see her. But that picture was probably better than any after shot. What a happy girl.

Katy said...

Could she be any cuter!!? I'm glad things are going well!

Nammie said...

Her smile is infectuous. I caught myself smiling right back at her!! Great news, hang in there you guys. Grandpa Norm

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Im so happy things are going SO well!! congrats! And I have to add how WONDERFUL Dr Mancuso is...LOVE the guy. He did Masons surgery and I really love this guy. She is sooo cute and just looks so happy!

Danielle said...

Hurray!!! I have been anticipating this post and it is so nice to hear everything is looking good!! She is darling, and I love her hair!