Friday, July 18, 2008

Jaw Distraction X-ray


This is one of the skull films that were taken today. After a pin turning/device/x-ray complete befuddle, Cicily ended up with this x-ray which shows both sides turned approximately the same distance. Phew, major relief!
Essentially Tues we went in for weekly x-rays and the length of separation in the bone on both sides was only about 4mm instead of the 11mm it should have been. Today we went back in and the Rt side was closed up to 2mm and the left side was separated about 10mm. WHAT happened??? Dr. Singh called the doctors she did her fellowship with in Philadelphia who invented the device Cicily is using and they said it could only be an error in turning the screws. Thankfully Dr. Singh knows me well and figured I must be turning them correctly as I've told her I believe I am. So she turned the Rt side 15 times in her office to compensate for the asymmetry we somehow had. Then we took more x-rays (above).
Don't worry if you don't understand this post at all. I don't understand what could have possibly happened, and Dr. Singh is equally as puzzled by it all. The main thing is- good news, the distractors are both now turned approximately 1/3 of the way to the complete 30 mm. YAY!
(The two circular shapes showing by Cicily's bottom teeth are the buttons on the dress she had on. The big metal thing on the top side of her cranium is my ring and you can also see my fingers overlaying. The rest - screws, rod, trach and all are things that are a part of Cicily right now.)

5 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

yeah! Im so glad things went well. WOW, Janalynn, you are one SUPER mom...I read your last post about having to watch Cicily 24/7...that is HARD. At the end of this,you deserve a 2 hr massage, a pedicure and a killer shopping trip :)
Hang in there, and again Im glad things are going so well.

mashby said...

YAY! I'm SO glad that things are where they should be. I've been worrying about it....that X-Ray is cool lookin! Love you all!

Ondriawfd said...

What the heck could have happened? That's really weird. And she's being watched 24/7 so she couldn't have fallen on it or turned it somehow. WEIRD! I'm glad it's where it's supposed to be now though. That must have hurt.

Heidi Ann said...

Loved the x-ray. I know I shouldn't but i feel bad that you know way more about any of this than you ever wanted to know. Does that make sense? She is so lucky to have a mom as amazing as you! Glad everything is going well.

Katy said...

Wow, you're such a great mom, and Cicily is such a brave little girl...

Before I read your post I was looking at the x-ray wondering what they did to Cicily's skull...I'm glad it was only your ring!! :)