Friday, March 20, 2009

Sporting Orthotics (not braces)




Cicily is finally (after waiting 2 months for insurance) wearing orthotics on her legs to help her stability. They are technically AFOs, ankle foot orthotics. Maya may correct you as she did her aunt if you try to call them braces. Are you thinking what I think everyday when I put them on, "how much more gear can you put on a little body??" The plus side - she does get to wear expensive skater shoes that I'm sure someone thinks are cool.
Cicily is not a fan of the AFOs. She hasn't learned how to maneuver and crawl in them yet, so they actually limit her mobility at this point. I'm sure she'll get it sometime, I just hope it's soon! They do really help her gait though when we hold her hands and she walks. They also help her legs stay at a better angle when she stands at the couch and make her more stable.
Don't worry, the walking equipment plans aren't over yet. In addition to AFOs she may also get to sport a spandex compression suit to help her stability, and not just an old-lady walker, but a super walker called a gait trainer! Of course none of it sounds like a great time to me, but if it is a step in her gaining the ability to walk, I'm for it. Hell, if it'd help, I'd put her in a bubble of pickle juice all day!!!

6 comments:

Teri said...

I was actually going to comment on the cool shoes!

Danielle said...

Now that I've come clean about lurking, I guess I can start commenting. :) Those are awesome shoes! And just random, but is that a trachea plug (not sure what those are called) on her doll? My 2 year old has Type 1 diabetes, and it's with mixed emotions that I watch her pretend to check her baby doll's blood and give her shots. But somehow it is sweet to watch her care for it that way.

Adam said...

You lost me on the pickle juice comment. But Fabiane will appreciate the hell.

jess said...

hooray! I can't wait to see them! :) (and I found some bigger 24 piece puzzles with the edges on them. :) )

Camille Hammond said...

I loved Emily's AFO's. They really helped her be able to support herself in standing. She was much stronger in her legs than upper body.. She was never able to sit, but she liked to try to walk when we were supporting her! Robby sure struggled getting them on, though! I hope that they help.

Kimberlynsmom said...

Hi there! I have been watching your profile since my daughter was born almost a year ago!! I just want to let you know that you are AWESOME!! I can relate in so many ways, but at the same time I cant!! Just thought Id let ya know it!! Check out my blog if you want to!! :)