Monday, April 13, 2009

Outlined path to living trach-free

Problem #1. A jaw that is too small
Fix - 3 month jaw distraction surgery

2. A granuloma grows in the trachea
Fix - surgery to excise the granuloma

3. Granuloma surgery is cancelled numerous times
Fix -reschedule and be patient

4. Infection inhibits granuloma surgery from being completed
Fix - reschedule, wait, antibiotics like crazy

5. A hole develops in trachea from granuloma surgery
Fix - wait 10-14 days for hole to heal

*new 6. Contracts pneumonia 10 days post-op
Fix - hospital stay with IV antibiotics, home antibiotics for 2 weeks and then cap again
Seriously, now it just feels like a comedy of errors or something like that! I am feeling more patient now though.

So Cicily's tracheal scar tissue removal surgery went well. Dr. Mancuso excised all the granuloma and stitched her little neck back up. Then she went to the PICU and her trach was capped for 24 hours. During the 24 hours of capping she was breathing EXCELLENTLY!!! Her oxygen saturations were completely normal while she was sleeping, eating, playing, everything.

There was a minor snag in the plan however. There is a leak in Cicily's trachea from surgery. When her trach was capped and there was more pressure to get air from her lungs to her nose/mouth, the air would leak out of the hole in her trachea and fill up her cheeks. She looked like a swollen balloon! So we took off the cap, swelling went down and Cicily came home from the hospital. Now we have to wait 10-14 days to re-cap and make sure she doesn't become a balloon again, and then we can pull the trach.

Mom's note: I'm very excited about Cicily breathing so well with her trach plugged. It's more than I expected from her at 2 years old. I can't describe the thrilling feeling knowing she could start to cry loudly, talk better, splash in the bathtub, not have to cough all the time. . . .
I'm also freaked out about not being able to suction the stuff she coughs up, hearing her breath differently, and other things. I don't know how to describe what a mixture of emotions it is.
When Cicily was in the hospital with her trach plugged, we made plans Tuesday night to pull out her trach Wed morning. Chris stayed with her Tues night and I went home to sleep. I'm in bed, almost out when the phone rings and Chris tells me it's not going to happen Wed. morning. I was tired, angry, sad. We have a plan in place now for decannulation and I feel good about it. I do feel like it will happen soon most of the time. Sometimes though, I feel like there have been so many curve-balls thrown that I don't know what to expect next. I try to focus on being grateful that her jaw distraction went so well and that she is capable of breathing without her trach now.

5 comments:

shannon said...

I can't imagine dealing with all the ups and downs with Cicily. At least there is progress though right?...slow maybe, but progress! She looks great too...what a cutie!

Teri said...

Progress is being made. She will be breathing on her own soon. I am so excited for her and I can't imagine the ups and downs either. Hang in there friend...sister!

Robin said...

Oh man, you are so close! I can just imagine the roller coaster of emotions you must be going through. I'm really scared to get Faith's trach out, even though there are such wonderful things to look forward to. I can't wait to see Cicily's pictures with a bare neck - we'll be praying for her and you all that everything goes smoothly and you don't have any more late issues arise again.
Robin

Carrie said...

So close you can taste it-and worse it's for your child. I can't imagine it but my heart sinks a little feeling your pain and knowing it's probably inevitable for us. We will be thinking of your family and hoping for thorough healing of her trachea. Maybe try to take the time and look around at all of the equipment, supplies, and routines that you will so no longer need....and plan a pool visit for the end of the month!

Kimberlynsmom said...

Hi there!! Kimberlyn didnt have her trache very long, but boy was it a process to get that thing out!! One minute they would say "tomorrow" and then the next it was "give it a week or two"!! You are very strong in everything you have gone through with Cicily, and before you know it the trache will be gone, and it will be hard to remember what it was like with the trache in!! :) Shes such a beautiful strong girl and Im so excited to see what happens next!! :)
Take care,
MJ