Monday, April 20, 2009

"Yeah"


"Yeah" - It's Cicily's favorite word. It's the only word she consistently says all the time, and never signs. She loves to say, "yeah". Whenever she's asked if she wants to play with something, go somewhere, she usually answers with a, "yeah". If she's asked if she wants some food, most of the time there is an odd absence of her standard happy, "yeah" and we have to say, "you can sign 'no' Cis".
Chris commented a few weeks ago that Cicily's yeah is a great demonstration of her personality. Most 2 year olds can't get enough of the word no, and here's our sweetie living it up being a "yeah" girl. She's pretty much interested in trying anything new and she's happy almost all the time (exceptions are when she's in pain, when she's told no, and when Maya cries).
I recently pulled out all of Maya's old clothes that will fit Cicily for the coming spring, summer, and fall. It was a difficult thing for me to see all the cute outfits Maya wore at 2 years old and remember how when she wore these clothes she could run, speak in paragrahps, count to 10 in English and Spanish, knew what all the letters said, etc. I had to say a prayer because I wanted my sad, bitter feelings knowing those things may be a few years off for Cicily to go away. I did feel better and realized that both Maya and Cicily will get to the same destination, they're just on different paths. And I'm happy to have 2 girls on such different paths. I told Chris about it when he came home and he reminded me of what a friend also told me recently. -Cicily is an extremely happy girl. She doesn't care much about all she can't do yet. She tries so hard, and does SO well with what she has. When all is said and done, what more does a parent want than to know that their children are happy? I love our happy girl that makes so many people happy and is always ready with a willing, "yeah".

8 comments:

Danielle said...

Thank you for this post. Cicily seems like such a sweet girl that we can all learn so much from.

Anniebanannie said...

Your thoughts are so sweet, Janalyn. You made me all teary eyed.

Camille Hammond said...

I just love her! her personality just reminds me of Emily. I like what you said about being on different paths. When we got Emily's diagnosis I was so upset, and Robby looked at me and said, "We'll still have expectations for her, they just might be different." And every expectation we had for her, like learning to sign, trying to walk, (she loved to move her legs to walk) she was able to meet. I Cicily is well on her way to meeting every expectation you have for her, I think.

jess said...

I too love her "yeah" :)

Meg said...

Yay, for "yeah" girl!

Jessica said...

Hey, (I'm not some crazy random commenter! Well, maybe to you. he he. My husband and I went on a BYU field school with Chris.)I loved reading about your friend and how he/she pointed out that your daughter is happy and does so well with what she has. Our daughter has Charge Syndrome (although not as full blown as usual kids but has hearing loss, g-tube, gross motor delays...although just learned to walk 3 months ago). Some days I just cry because I think of her friends her age doing and saying all these things that Charlotte can't do yet or perhaps may never will. I have to remember too that Charlotte IS happy, stubborn too, but happy. She loves herself so much and is having a grand ol' time with life. And I love it. But I've been having moments like you where I just get so upset about what she's not doing or isn't saying. It's so frustrating at times but I need to remember that she is happy and she loves herself and doesn't seem to be bothered by these challenges (well, I think they're challenges). So thanks for your post! Sometimes I just need a pick me up.

Grubbs Familly said...

Happy kids are the best!! Love ya!

Staci said...

You cant help but smile when you are around her! That is so cute that she says "Yeah" all the time...what a sweetheart! I'm sure it is hard not to think about what she can't do, but you & Chris are right, she does SO WELL with what she has! At least from my perspective looking in! You guys are amazing parents and have 2 darling little girls!!!