Friday, July 17, 2009

The 12 day hospital stay

So after Cicily was stable, they did a chest x-ray to determine if the ET (intubation) tube was in the correct place. The x-ray showed some cloudiness in her left lung, indicating pneumonia. So Cicily was on the ventilator, intubated, and sedated for 5 full days while the pneumonia spread to the other lung and then went away. While she was intubated, she had some special visitors:
Maya could actually come visit this time as the hospital doesn't have age restrictions for visitors in the summer. Cicily has a shirt on that her cousins all signed. What a great get well card!

One of our favorite families! It'll be interesting to see if Jerome is happy or sad that Cicily has her "necklace" back.

On Tuesday July 7th (almost exactly 2 months after it was removed), Cicily had her tracheostomy re-placed. We would have liked to give Cicily a real chance to learn how to handle her secretions without a trach and without being sick. She never really was 100% healthy the whole 2 months her trach was out. However, her episodes just got too severe and her chances were running out. Now we'll have to figure out what works to thin her secretions and she'll have to have her trach capped more and figure out how to cough and breath and not get scared with it all. (Damn that lack of white matter!) It still seems that the trach will be a temporary thing in Cis' life. Chris and I are actually quite relieved that it's back. It's funny, as much fun as it was to hear Cicily's voice when she laughed, I was also happy to hear her trach laugh once again.





The day after her tracheostomy, Cicily woke up from sedation in pain and flailing wildly. She had become addicted to the drug fentanyl that had kept her sedated for the past 5 days. It's an opiate drug, like heroin. So, like a heroin addict, Cicily had to be put on a detox regimen. She was given decreasing doses of the drug methadone to get her over the addiction symptoms.
The above picture was taken the day she woke up, the only time we saw her smile for the next 4 days. It's the first time I can think of in her life when Cicily hasn't just bounced back quickly from a surgery or illness with a smile - it was disconcerting.

Maya was of course the first to get Cicily to smile again! She even got a laugh out of her. One morning we brought Cis' dog Lucy for a visit. That plus Maya won lots of smiles!

After 12 days in the hospital, Cicily was discharged. Because of the addiction and not moving for almost 2 weeks, Cicily was still unable to sit up on her own or even hold up her head. The night she came home, I ran out and bought her this chair she could lounge in and completely recover in.
Cicily has been SO happy to be home. She's been smiling almost non-stop. I think she's happy to be alive and healthy.

13 comments:

Lisa said...

I cant stop crying, Im so happy Cicily is home,and smiling her beautiful smile! It breaks my heart that cicily went threw what she did,It brought back memories of less than a year ago when ava did almost the same thing when her dad had to give her cpr outside in front of the fire station, no one was there I lost it, I just screamed please put her trach back please!! something I never wanted I wanted back so badly, Ava didnt need her trach back but it didnt really matter. I just wanted ava, Who would have thought anyone would have to go threw this, it takes someone pretty strong to deal with something like this and still be able to smile to the world! Cicily is our inspiration thank you for sharing her story she is an amazing little girl just like her lil sister and her parents!
Lisa
Avas mommy

Camille Hammond said...

I love how her purple skirt matches her purple chair! I'm glad you're home. Em was in the hospital for that long with RSV. Rough!

Jewelia Eagar said...

I wish I would have known sooner. Wow, what an eventful July you have had so far! I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles, but I'm glad to read that she is back home, and happy. Talk to you soon, Love Jewelia

Jewelia Eagar said...

I wish I would have known sooner. Wow, what an eventful July you have had so far! I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles, but I'm glad to read that she is back home, and happy. Talk to you soon, Love Jewelia

jess said...

I am so happy that Cis is home and recovering. What a strong little girl. Sure do miss her smiling face!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

wow! What a month. Poor baby. What a true fighter though. She is so dang cute. You guys do great makin cute girls :)
SO glad she is doing well, and I love that chair..what a good idea. I have said it before, but you are SUCH a great mom.

Unknown said...

I am so thankful that you two knew what to do! I would have panicked and given up. Cicily is so lucky to have you two as parents. I am really glad to see that she is doing better. She is quite the girl! The puppy is cute too, are you still able to keep it when she has the trach in again?

Lisa said...

Wow! I am glad she is doing better. She is one lucky little girl to have parents like you both and a big sister that loves her so much.. I wish we lived closer so we could come and see her and you guys more often.. We love you guys..

Bharti Sumarajan said...

Hey my name is Bharti and i am from India.I visit your blog regularly to read about cicly.What a wonderful daughter of heavenly father she is , so brave and cheerful.Thanks for sharing her story , it's definetly hard for you as a mother but may be you will never know completely that you are a great inspiritation for all the parents who raed your blog.Love
Bharti

Bharti Sumarajan said...

Hi Janalyn
Thanks for commenting on our blog.
It made me also think that how did i find Cicly's blog.I remember it was in our favourites and never tried to find out how did it come.This afternoon i asked my husband and he told me that he found it on one of our church members blog and added it to our favourites.Well i am glad that he did it becoz whenever i am on the computer it has become a habit that i check your blog , to find out how cicly is doing.Whenever i see her smiling pictures it brightens my day.She definetly is a very pure soul and it radiates in her beautiful smile .

Is this not amazing that we have never met each other (i can't say that completely , i am sure we knew each other in premortal life ) but i still have so much love and respect for you.I think their are two reasons for this , the first one is the knowledge that we have that we all are heavenly father's children and dwelt with him before we came here and the second reason is cicly herself , if you got chosen to be cicly's mother , you must be really special and i love you more for that.
I will continue to see cicly's blog.
Give my love to your beautiful family.
Bharti

Heidi Ann said...

Oh Janalyn, I'm trying not to cry for you, Chris and Cicily. I am so sorry I didn't know, so sorry. I am familiar with that sick panic feeling and hate that you felt it. I wish I would've known, I would've come to see her and brought her prizes and you some french silk. I'm not a very good friend. I should be more supportive as I've kind of been in your shoes. It's unfair to ask so much from such a sweet little girl. I know how desperatly you want her but at the same time I know how you want her to be free. I hope for you "her time" never comes but if it does it will be the most sweet, peacful, amazing, cherished experience ever. Give her a squeeze and smooch from me. I really am SO sorry I didn't know.

Jessica said...

She's a miracle. What a beautiful smile too. You guys are awesome parents. I can't ever imagine what you've been through. I'm so glad things are okay now.

Kristy said...

I just love you so much!