Monday, April 2, 2012

Basically a vegan

About 2 years ago Cis started throwing up after she had eaten, usually only when she was sick.  I experimented with her food a little and found she seemed better without meat so we stopped giving her meat.  She did better for quite a while and then started throwing up again.  We went to her g-tube dr. to rule out that issue and then to her GI dr.  She ran a bunch of food allergy tests and they all came back normal (shocker!).  But she said she could still have a sensitivity to milk.  So we tried going sans-milk and no more throwing up!  Apparently her body can't digest animal products anymore. 
So for the past 6 months or more Cicily has been eating a vegan diet.  She gets her usual mixed grains, veggies, fruit, flaxseed, oil, and salt.  But now she also gets almonds and beans in place of meat and milk.  I do toss in an egg from her own chickens now and again and she seems to digest that alright.
Now not only is Cicily a healthy eater, she's an animal and environmentally friendly eater as well.   

2 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

See, that's what I need : a vegan diet ! But I need someone to come make the food for me or else I won't do it. Do you want to be my new chef ; ) Are you eating vegan too ? You are super skinny mini sister !

Teri said...

I think a lot of us would do better eating vegan. I am just too lazy to do it! Thanks for being an example Cicily...you always eat your veggies! I was just thinking of Cicily today and feeling so grateful to have her in our family. I know I don't express it enough...but we love her so!