Thursday, August 23, 2012

KINDERGARTENER!

She's a great big Kindergartener!!! 
Cicily was very excited about her first day of school this year.  She is in a special education self-contained classroom with 5 other kids grades K-3.  All the other kids are very similar to Cis - limited body control, but able to learn on grade level.  For example: today they worked on subtraction and her teacher put some objects on the tray of her wheelchair and counted them out with her, then she took some away and Cicily had to push the number button on her communication device that corresponded to the number of items her teacher took away and then how many were left.  Her teacher is amazing.  Cicily's already in love and I'm thinking about finding some teacher award to nominate her for! 
Cicily also gets to do P.E., library (a fave), music, and go to a general education Kindergarten class for calendar time.  She rides the bus and gets to be at school for 4 1/2 hours.  So far Cicily has enjoyed making the boys in her class laugh by putting her feet up on the table, wearing purple since it's her and her teacher's favorite color, choosing a prize for working hard each day of school so far, and lots of other great new things.  She's so proud to be learning new things.  Her nurse Tami or her teacher let me know each day what she's worked on and when I talk to her about something new she's learned, she just beams!  I'm so glad she has the opportunity to use her brain in a way that it works- to learn and to interact with new friends.  I hope the year continues to be as great as the first few weeks have been! 





In front of her new school.  She's not wanting to look at me lately when I take pictures.  What an independent little 5 year old - grrr! 

3 comments:

mashby said...

Cutest Kindergartener (that is kind of a funny word to spell out!) I know!!!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

she is so cute! I love her pigtales! And I swear she is always smiling..so sweet. Her shoes are super cute!!

De Ette said...

I'm grateful she has all the wonderful opportunities you have made sure she gets. She looks beautiful in her purple!!!