Monday, February 28, 2011

Words of Hope

I was reading some scriptures the other day and I read this one that had never been particularly meaningful to me before. It's Mosiah 16:8 "But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." (If you're wondering where this Mosiah is, you can check this out http://www.mormon.org/book-of-mormon/)
I love how that's worded - the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ. It's exactly how I feel. People wonder how it is knowing my daughter is going to die young and I never know what to say exactly. I know I'm going to miss Cicily terribly. I know I'll be happy thinking about how she's no longer bound to her painful, ill-functioning body. But I know that her spirit, the essence of who Cicily is, will one day be reunited with her body as she is resurrected. And her resurrected body will be perfect and she will be able to tell me exactly what made her sad that one day when she was 4 years old and couldn't explain it to me. (I've imagined our long talks - Mom, what were you thinking making me use those glasses - they didn't help a bit, etc. And hopefully - Mom, thank you for making my dolls do goofy things to make me giggle, etc.)
So at times when I start to worry about how I'll miss seeing my Cicily smile and how it will sting a lot to not have her in our home, I think about that sting being swallowed up in Christ. I know Jesus Christ died and was resurrected. I know it was not an easy thing for Him to do. He did it for us. It makes me feel like I can face the not easy thing of having my Cicily gone from me, because, "the grave hath no victory...the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ" for me and for my Cicily.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Way to make me cry. For some reason I was thinking of life after death today and the reuions we will have. Then I saw your blog. I know that what you wrote is true and I love you and I don't express it well to you...but I do. Can't wait to see you tonight...and Cis.

Teri

Carol said...

Hi, you don't know me but I am Brady Anderson's mom. I love reading all about Cicily. I also love your eternal perspective on things. Growing up I thought the attonement was to help us with our sins, but it is so much more than that. Christ suffered for our sorrows and heartaches too. He's already felt your pain, he just knows that it will be worth it. Cicily must have been so valiant that Heavenly Father wanted to make sure she came back to him just as pure as when she left him. Hooray for your family that knows that too. You must have been valiant too to be blessed to take care of her while she is here. You have a special family and I pray that you will always feel the comfort that you feel now.

Kami Milliron said...

I miss my sweet Elizabeth everyday, but I am so happy knowing she's not hurting and is healthy and strong. My Patriartical Blessing tells me that I will teach that there is no sting in death. I sometimes wonder if sharing my thoughts and feelings about losing Elizabeth and my Dad, is helping others when they think about death and losing loved ones. Thank you for sharing that Scripture !

I feel like I never see you at Church anymore - I guess we just miss each other in the hall or something. I still owe your family dinner ! !

Nammie said...

Thank you for these tender feelings. Love you guys so much.

Grandpa Norm

Adam said...

Thanks, J. I love you and your good husband and your wonderful kids. I'll see you soon. :)

Heidi Ann said...

Love you girl! You inspire me!!

Grubbs Familly said...

Janalyn, you never cease to amaze me and I feel humbled and blessed to have you and Cicily as my friends. I look forward to talking with Aulton and Cicily in the future :) maybe I can interrupt a conversation between the two of them! Love you so much!