Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cicily's first word!!! (or sign for those who make a distinction)

Chris and Cicily were playing last week - a game they play where Chris puts his head down and Cicily pats his head to get him to lift his head up and give her a kiss. Chris stopped for a minute and apparently Cicily was not done! She looked at her hands and with real determination put them together and apart repeatedly, signing "more". Then she would sign more and point to Chris' mouth. So we like to say her first words were "more kisses"!
She's been doing this sign a few times a day since then. I think it actually means more of that specific game, as opposed to more in general- which is quite adorable really.
She's also been "babbling" with her hands a lot in the last few weeks. (That's something Deaf babies who are signed to will do, but I didn't know if we signed to Cicily enough to have her do that, apparently we do, or she's just that smart. :)) She'll look really deliberately at her hands and move them and her fingers pointedly.
It's very exciting to have Cicily be able to communicate some. She's always done a fabulous job communicating with her expressions, but this is an exciting milestone for us all.

5 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

HOW COOL!!! That is so exciting! I bet that was so neat to see :)

Ondriawfd said...

That's so fun!! I can't wait to see her do it. Have I told you how great of a mom you are. Not many mom's actually learn a whole new language to help out their baby. You are awesome!!

Whitney said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see you guys this weekend. I guess I'll have to practice my signing. Juan and I learned a lot from baby einstein. :)

Jake said...

Hopefully for her b-day we will see her sign more. How fun!

Teri

Layton Clan said...

Jana, what a doll baby. Happy Birthday Girlee!!! : )

Love you,
Jen