Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Journey to being an Oral Eater









While we were on vacation, I gave her a Red Vine to chew on. It's the first real taste she's ever had other than milk, or a tiny bit of something on my spoon. She really liked it and made a great mess!


Performing her own "oral stim" therapy! Using one of her many therapy toys- a vibrating toothbrush We get excited whenever she puts anyting in her mouth!


Cicily's been working on eating through her mouth in earnest this past month. She goes to see a special speech therapist in Phoenix once a week who specializes in feeding. She also has an occupational therapist who comes to our house once a week to work on eating with Cicily. So far she takes little amounts of baby food a couple times a day. When I say "takes" I mean, she sits in her high chair while I make her smile so she opens her mouth, and then I shove the spoon in. And when I say "little amounts" I mean she swallows about 1/2 teaspoon a day, while the rest dribbles down her chin. But, slowly and surely she'll get better at eating by mouth, I'm sure.





1 comment:

Heath said...

Well, if nothing else she will know how to brush her teeth really well!! I know, I know, you would only expect as much from me.