Tuesday, January 8, 2013

School Stories - IEP

Right before Christmas I went to Cicily's school (while she came home to play with Grandma) to have her first Kindergarten IEP.  (An IEP is an educational plan with education and therapy goals.)  I was so excited to meet her new occupational therapist Jessica and A.P.E. coach Jill but a little nervous because I always get emotional at IEPs. 
So we went around the table and Cicily's teacher and therapists all explained what they would like to work on with Cicily for the rest of the year.  I was so impressed with how well everyone knew and understood Cicily. 
Her teacher has been fantastic with Cicily all year!  She did tell me that Cis somehow commands respect from the boys in her class.  I guess they like to pinch each other to mess around, but they never do with Cis!  They'll joke around with her, and her with them and she'll pull on their clothes or chairs, but they don't mess with Cis. 
Her speech therapist described the innovative ways she stabilizes Cicily's body to help her access her speech device. (An Ipad with an app that allows Cis to push a button -such as "book" - and the Ipad speaks, "book".)  And she has learned that Cicily will work hard for a given, set amount of time, but when that time is up - Cis cannot be persuaded to do any more! 
Her occupational therapist said she noticed Cicily wasn't very motivated with standard exercises so she comes up with fun crafts for Cicily to do each week and works on fine motor skills while doing art.  Cicily is always so proud and excited to show these to us when she gets home!
Her physical therapist has gotten Cicily to love using a walker around school.  (She's kind of hated them in the past.)  His secret is they never go "walking" they go on "parade" to the library.  Of course Cis would be motivated by walking to a room full of books! 
They all talked about reading her facial expressions and body language.  They all seemed to really understand Cicily in an impressive way.  I'm continually amazed at how God puts the perfect people into Cicily's life at just the right time.  And no, I didn't cry this year!  (I teared up so many times throughout the day just thinking about it all, I guess I got it all out.)

4 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds like wonderful people are not only helping Cicily, but loving her! Loved hearing about all that she does at school and I especially love the "parade" idea!

Whitney said...

I'm so happy to hear that Cis is surrounded by people who love her, she deserves it! It's so helpful to have other people help in the creativity to motivate; how smart to call it a parade and to make the destination the library! The real question is, did you cry? :) Love you guys!

Meg said...

I love that her supporters/aides embraced the girl she is and not change her. We are really fortunate to have a wonderful support system.

Ondria said...

Maybe you didn't cry but I just did. :) Love you!